As a Little Elm property manager, it is essential that your tenants feel safe and at ease in their rental property. Ensuring the safety of a tenant can reduce vacancies and increase a property’s cash flow. However, if you do not take special precautions, potentially hazardous conditions can develop without your knowledge. In this article, we’ll look at five of the most common home dangers that, if ignored, could cause serious health problems for your tenants or even result in death. Knowing what those typical household hazards are and how to avoid them is crucial if you want to make sure that your rental property is safe for your tenants.
Mold grows where there is moisture and a food source, such as cardboard or paper. Mold often produces a musty odor, which is usually the first sign that most people notice. Molds come in a variety of forms, the majority of which are unsightly but not especially harmful to people. Stachybotrys, also known as black mold, can be toxic. It may result in allergic reactions, breathing difficulties, and in severe cases, anaphylactic shock.
The good news is that it is relatively simple to prevent mold growth in rental properties. Mold can be avoided by simply installing a dehumidifier in the basement, running exhaust fans in steamy bathrooms, and airing out the house. Consider instructing your tenants about mold prevention and the associated risks. Additionally, you need to routinely check your home for mold growth. If the worst-case scenario occurs and you discover black mold, it is imperative to immediately contact a professional who can remove it safely and fix the source of the moisture that caused the mold in the first place.
There is no doubt that asbestos is a significant problem, particularly in older rental properties. However, asbestos that is contained within walls or other closed spaces is generally safe as long as it isn’t disturbed. If the walls of your rental property have asbestos, you must ensure that your tenant is aware that they must not drill holes or make any other alterations to the walls, not even to drive a nail. Asbestos can enter the house through even small gaps, leading to the cancer mesothelioma.
Only licensed professionals should perform asbestos removal. You shouldn’t attempt to remove it yourself or let a tenant do it in order to avoid harm and illnesses related to asbestos.
Lead is another potential hazard that may be present in older rental properties. Before it was banned in 1978, lead paint was regularly used in older homes. Even if you’ve painted over the old paint, lead-based paint can flake off as the home ages, exposing your tenants, their children, and their pets to the toxin. In some regions, lead poisoning is also caused by the presence of old pipes.
Your rental property’s plumbing and water should be thoroughly inspected for lead to prevent lead poisoning. Also, if your home was constructed prior to 1978, you should have your paint tested and removed by trained professionals. Although painting over lead paint is a temporary solution, the only way to ensure that your tenants are not exposed to lead is to completely remove the old paint from all affected surfaces.
In the USA, house fires are a far too frequent occurrence. Household fires can unfortunately be fatal. 2,620 civilian deaths result from the more than 346,000 home fires that occur on average each year. Cooking fires are caused by oil and other ingredients, whereas dryer lint is the leading cause of laundry room fires. In addition to faulty appliances and electrical problems, unattended candles are a leading cause of house fires.
There are several steps you should take to prevent fires in your rental property. First, the dryer vent should be cleaned once a year, and you should do everything in your power to ensure that your rental property is electrically sound. Second, teach your tenants about fire safety and provide them with fire extinguishers, functioning smoke detectors, and other necessary items. You can significantly lower the likelihood that your rental property will catch fire by following these easy steps.
Carbon monoxide is another typical household danger. Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas produced when wood, propane, gasoline, and charcoal are burned. Carbon monoxide can build up in a confined environment and cause carbon monoxide poisoning when these fuels-using appliances and engines are not properly ventilated. Mild carbon monoxide poisoning may induce nausea, confusion, headaches, and blurred vision. Carbon monoxide poisoning can, in severe cases, result in permanent tissue damage or even death.
Through proper maintenance and tenant education, it is possible to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. It’s crucial to have your fireplaces and other appliances that utilize any of the aforementioned fuels regularly serviced. Add carbon monoxide detectors to your rental home so that both you and your tenants will be informed of any potential risks. If your rental home has a garage or if your tenants have a propane grill or heater, it’s a good idea to explain to them that they should never leave a car running or use a propane device in an enclosed space. Fundamental education in safety could protect your tenants from illness and worse.
Ensuring the health and safety of your tenants is a huge responsibility and can be very time-consuming. Why not let the experts help? At Real Property Management Focus, our comprehensive property management and tenant relations programs are designed to keep both your property and your tenants safe. To get more info concerning the services we offer, call us at 469-820-0088 or contact us online today!
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.